Saturday, August 8, 2009

What We Makin': Caramel Corn

While I was coming up with ideas of snacks to take with me on a weekend trip, I remembered a recipe I have long wanted to make: Caramel Popcorn from The Joy of Vegan Baking. I don't know what took me so long to try this recipe out. It was really easy and cheap to make!

Here, you can see that I didn't have a large enough pot to hold as much popcorn as I needed, so I'm taking some out while its popping. It can get a little challenging trying to dodge flying popcorn kernels.

Next, I melted some brown sugar and Earth Balance (vegan butter substitute) together to make the caramel coating. After that is done, you mix the popcorn with some nuts and toss it with the caramel on a pan and bake it in the oven.

The popcorn has to bake for about an hour, and you only need to stir it every 15 minutes, so you are left with some free time. I chose to make up a quick lentil and cilantro salad to balance out the fact that I was making such a sweet treat.

Then you end up with over 14 cups of caramel corn, perfect for sharing!

Carmel Corn: It's What We Makin'!

--Jen

1 comment: