Wednesday, August 19, 2009

What We Makin': P.Y.T.s!


I’m pretty sure that in the song P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing), Michael Jackson was singing about baby zucchinis and pattypan squash. I don't know if anyone else would agree, but I’m going to continue to believe it. Maybe it’s just an indication as to how much I really love miniature vegetables.

I was at the market today and found some of these P.Y.T.s and knew I had to make something special with them. I decided to stuff them and then roast them in the oven. This may not have been the best idea on such a hot day, but it was worth it!

I heated some oil and added some black cumin seeds, a cardamom pod, and some fenugreek to the pan. Then I threw in some finely chopped onions, garlic, mushrooms, red pepper and the insides of the squash and zucchini. Once that was cooked, I added a healthy dose of cumin, some pepper and some saffron. Then I stirred in some cooked long grain brown rice and some chopped almonds. I added some balsamic vinegar into the pan before stuffing the squash and zucchini.

I baked them in the oven in a dish covered with foil until they were soft. I served them with a balsamic reduction to balance the savouriness of the zucchini and squash. Yum!











--Jen

2 comments: