Sunday, August 23, 2009

What Aren't We Makin'?

Brace yourself for a triple-whammy of delicious eats.
First up, my dinner for the evening:

I made some brown rice with some assorted vegetables and peanut sauce. The peanut sauce recipe was from the Fresh cookbook “Refresh.” The only change I made was that I juiced some carrots and celery in place of the vegetable stock which explains why the sauce is such a bright orange. This is one of my favourite comfort meals.









Next up, some desserts!

First, I made some mini cheesecakes made with soy cream cheese. The recipe was from vegweb and can be found here: http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=13702.0.

I followed the recipe for the filling, but to make it gluten-free, I made my own crust. I blended some granola with some cashews and almonds and some agave nectar and Earth Balance until I got crust consistency. For the topping, I cooked some blueberries and raspberries with some agave nectar.

Earlier in the week I went a little avocado crazy and bought a few too many, so I made an avocado mousse pie. I used the leftovers I had from my crust for the mini cheesecakes. For the filling recipe, I also got it from vegweb here: http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=6811.0. This recipe was extremely easy and made a really rich pie. I’ve seen a lot of healthier versions and I would probably try those out instead next time, but this would be a good dessert to bring to a get-together of some sort.














--Jen

3 comments:

  1. I love peanut sauce. I need that recipe...of course mine will go on chicken pad thai or something.

    Also I am now a follower. Lead me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how did your granola/nut crust turn out? And what sort of granola did you use that didn't have oats?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The crust turned out really well! I think it will be my go-to crust from now on.

    I find that I can eat regular oats in a granola cereal I buy at a health food store without any problems. I've also seen gluten-free granola but it usually has honey in it. You could also make your own granola with certified gluten-free oats.

    ReplyDelete