Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Where We Eatin': Fresh


Fresh
894 Queen Street West, Toronto
326 Bloor Street West, Toronto
147 Spadina Avenue, Toronto

Kreck here.  Today I went for lunch with my friends Adam and Lee.  After a few failed attempts at finding a restaurant that was both vegan-friendly and open in Little Portugal, we ended up at Fresh on Queen Street.  Fresh has been the go-to restaurant for vegans and vegetarians in Toronto for over a decade.  It has a huge selection, reasonable prices and a juice bar at each of its locations.  
I'll be honest.  I'm the kind of person whose ideal meal is pie with a side of fries, so it is really hard for me to order a salad when I go out to eat.  However, I've never tried a salad from Fresh, so I ordered the Tangled Thai Salad ($8) with a side of crispy tofu cubes ($2).  You have no idea how hard it was for me to pass up the Thai burger and fries!  I was amazed by how satisfying this salad was.  It consisted of strings of carrot and beet on a bed of Napa cabbage with ginger lime dressing, as well as Fresh's "salad topper," a mix of puffed quinoa, dried goji berries, currants, pistachios, hazelnuts, almonds and sea salt, which apparently is a good source of protein and omega.  Very tasty and filling!  I also ordered a tea ($3? Come on...)


Adam ordered the Kathmandu wrap, ($9) which could be made gluten-free by having it without the wrap, or wrapping it in a leafy green.  This wrap was chock full of chickpea curry with tahini sauce, lettuce, sprouts, tomatoes, onion and cucumber.  According to Adam, it was "tasty."




Finally, Lee ordered the small corn bread, salad  and soup combo ($8 for small, $10 for large).  The corn bread is wheat-free but not gluten-free, and is made using spelt flour.  Lee's verdict:  It was "good."





As usual, Fresh delivered the goods today.  It may not be as new and exciting as other vegan restaurants around Toronto, but it will always be there for you when the other two vegan restaurants in Little Portugal are closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment